Sports Program Counselor
LOCATION: Westchester Country Club, Rye, New York
DEPARTMENT: Main Club Sports Program
JOB TITLE: Sports Program Counselor
REPORTS TO: Publicity Director
COMPENSATION: Hourly Compensation, non-exempt
BENEFITS: Free meals - Play Golf on Mondays
Position available: June 27, 2022 through August 5, 2022
POSITION OBJECTIVES: Sports Program counselors will supervise a group of up to 10 campers, ages 8-11. Counselors are one of three group counselors, and camper safety is the most important aspect of this position. No camper is ever left unattended by camp staff.
SUMMARY REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to execute each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and/or satisfy the productivity, performance or qualification standards for the position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Daily attendance and dismissal records for all campers
- Monitoring movement of campers between Sports facilities for various sport clinics
- Supervision and facilitation of lunchtime activities
- Assisting Sports Teaching Professionals with daily activities planned for their campers, and participation in them, as needed.
- Accompanying campers to all areas of the Main Club and Beach Club facilities, including First Aid, bathrooms, and activity areas.
- Supervision of athletic activities created by counselors for several “counselors choice” sessions
- Attendance to mandatory orientation sessions, pre-season
- Daily interaction and communication with campers, co-workers, lead sports teaching professionals, Westchester Country Club Directors, and parents
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations
Incidental Duties: The above list of essential job functions describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, and indeed additional responsibilities may be assigned, as required, by management.
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to positively motivate and manage children
- Comfortable with taking direction, as well as communicating with co-workers
- Highly responsible and well-organized in tending to campers’ daily needs
- Presents professional appearance and attitude at all times
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
JOB QUALIFICATION STANDARDS
The following describes the general qualifications and physical, sensory, and mental abilities normally associated with performing the essential functions of this position.
Education and Experience:
- Prior Counselor experience
- Coaching or Upper-Level Team Sports Participation Preferred
- Some College Preferred
Knowledge and Skill Requirements/Specialized Courses and/or Training:
- Unexpired First Aid Certification and CPR Certifications – a plus
Language and Communication Skills:
- Ability to follow routine verbal and written instructions.
- Knowledge of customer service standards and procedures.
- Strong communication skills
Physical, sensory, and motor demands:
- Highly active, multitasking type of environment (group of children to direct and monitor)
- Frequent Standing for extended periods of time.
- Frequent Walking
- Excellent physical fitness, visual acuity, and sense of urgency to attend to young children needs
- Work is performed both indoors and outdoors throughout the summer