Sous Chef - à la carte
This position is responsible for all culinary areas in the Sports House Restaurant. This position also oversees the production of all a la carte production, ordering and receiving of products. This position may also require covering other areas or off site events and may be assigned other culinary duties as per Westchester Country Club business needs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to execute each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and/or satisfy the productivity, performance or qualification standards for the position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Responsible for training of Culinary, BOH staff on new menu items, menu descriptions and kitchen procedures.
- Oversee all production staff to ensure adherence to recipes and use records, as well as adherence to butchering guidelines (tracking yields).
- Accountable for daily pre-shift meetings that give an overview of events and explain assignments for cooks where they may be needed according to production and business needs.
- Participate in daily pre- shift meetings in order to answer FOH staff questions daily; educate on ingredients in menus.
- Ability to work and or oversee any BOH Culinary hourly position as well as receiving food and culinary department goods.
- Responsible for executing daily purchasing according to par levels, ensure that invoices are being coded to the appropriate accounts and are not exceeding budget. Work with Controller to supervise Receiver of food position.
- Ensure all functions are set up 15 minutes prior to the start time and all cooks at their stations.
- Responsible for maintaining the highest sanitation level in the culinary department by enforcing weekly and daily audits and closing lists.
- Responsible for adhering to all state, county and city sanitation standards. Must train and uphold standards with the other department BOH staff on proper food handling and sanitation procedures daily.
- Responsible for updating menus for seasonality and as deemed necessary.
The above list of essential job functions describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, and indeed additional responsibilities may be assigned, as required, by management.
- Embody Leadership role through impeccable line of conduct and crisp, professional appearance (Full White Chef’s Uniform, closed toe shoes with anti-slip soles) at all times, especially when interacting with members and staff.
- Adhere to all WCC Management Guidelines, Policies, & Procedures (including WCC employee handbook, Culinary Department Guidelines and Mission statement)
- Carry out all reasonable requests made by the Executive Chef and Executive Sous Chef, in a professional and timely fashion.
- Work schedule: Flexible to work overtime, particularly during high season (May-September). Some weeks may include working 6 or sometimes 7 days.
- Available to work Weekends, Nights, Early AM shifts and Holidays.
JOB QUALIFICATION STANDARDS
The following describes the general qualifications and physical, sensory and mental abilities normally associated with performing the essential functions of this position.
Education and Experience:
- Culinary Degree preferred and a minimum 4 Years in a Culinary Supervisory position with a large staff
- Up to date Food Handlers / Sanitation license, with a clear understanding and commitment to impeccable Sanitation practices.
- Desire to continue growth and knowledge.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements/Specialized Courses and/or Training:
- Well versed in Culinary Terms and well –rounded in various line cook positions and roles (Prep, Line, production, pastry as well as Steward, Utility and Receiver).
- Strong understanding, demonstrated through previous experience of improvising new dishes utilizing by-products.
- Thorough understanding of proper cooking methods.
- Computer Proficient in Microsoft Office (Microsoft Excel, MS Outlook MS Word).
- Previous knowledge of Jonas POS System preferred.
- Able to read labels and understand HACCP and MSDS material training guidelines.
- Previous use of a costing program preferred.
Language and Communication Skills:
- Must be able to communicate & interact professionally with members & employees in English language.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish – a plus.
Physical, sensory and motor demands:
- Able to move fast and multi-task in a fast paced, high stress / pressure environment (Heat and Action).
- Frequent Standing for extended periods of time.
- Frequent Walking to collect or deliver goods in various kitchens and or reception areas (buffet set ups).
- Regular Lifting up to 50 Lbs.
- Must possess good physical fitness, visual acuity and sense of smell to work in the kitchen and bake shop safely.