LOCATION: Rye, New York
DEPARTMENT: Food and Beverage
REPORTS TO: General Manager, Director of Outlets
SUPERVISES: All Bar Staff
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with experience, Exempt status
Plans, organizes, controls, evaluates and directs the execution of all bar operations and service bars during banquet functions at the Main Club. Works in conjunction with, Director of Food and Beverage, Director of Banquets, the Executive Chef and the General Manager to ensure that all member and bar expectations are anticipated and exceeded, while ensuring the maximization of the Club’s profitability from the bar functions.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Core Bar responsibilities:
- Supervises Bar operations and service in a manner designed to meet Westchester Country Club standards and exceed member expectations, while assuring the highest standard of appearance and cleanliness of the bars.
- Attends food and beverage staff and management meetings to review policies and procedures, upcoming business and continually develop quality and image of bar services.
- Inspects bar staff to ensure that they are in appropriate and clean uniforms at all times..
- Ensures correct appearance, cleanliness and safety of all equipment and fixtures in bar areas.
- Reports maintenance deficiencies and concerns.
Revenue and Financial responsibilities:
- Works closely with Director of Outlets, Director of Banquets, Executive Chef and Publicity to promote, advertise and market the club’s bar menu and beverage list.
- Develops and implements an on-going marketing program to increase bar business.
- Produces daily/bar revenue analysis and other reports from Jonas – our Point of Sale system
- Responsible for billing of all bars including outings, weddings and special events
- Develops controls and monitors labor budgets for the department.
- Schedules bar staff (a team of 6 to 10 bartenders) based on meeting the changing requirements of booked business. Forecasts staffing levels to allow appropriate recruitment process and filling of vacant positions.
- Maintains departmental payroll records.
- Manages all Bars and Bartenders and will distribute menus, take orders and serve members as needed
- Schedules and assists with bar and table service as necessary.
- Daily management of all bartenders
- Hires, trains, supervises and evaluates all bar core and on call staff.
- Schedules and directs pre-service meetings with bar staff. Discusses policy changes,
- Makes selection decisions in the hiring process; evaluates job performance; corrects rewards and disciplines staff according to Westchester Country Club policy and procedure.
- Recommends compensation rates/increases for departmental staff.
- Motivates and develops staff, including cross-training and promotion of staff.
- Plans professional development including ongoing table service, wine service knowledge, food preparation and other training activities for the Bar team.
- Ensures that all bar space is secure at the end of the business day.
- Maintains an inventory of bar items needed to conduct appropriate service and promote the correct atmosphere at any given time including uniforms.
- Conducts monthly inventories of bar items
- Oversees editing and printing of all bar menus.
- Greets and seats members and guests. Maintains a presence in the Bar while assuring service and member satisfaction is being met.
- Handles and solves member and guest complaints.
- Serves as liaison between the Bar staff, Restaurant and Culinary staff.
- Develops policies and procedures to enhance the Bar service flow and member experience.
- Maintains a constant awareness of club events at all times.
- Develops, maintains, updates and prints all bar consumptions reports from point of sale systems, service updates and menu items that include specials and opportunities to upsell.
- Undertakes special projects as assigned by the Director of Outlets and General Manager.
- Assumes responsibility of Manager on Duty (MOD) when necessary
- Embody Leadership role through impeccable line of conduct and crisp, professional appearance at all times, especially when interacting with members and staff
- Adhere to all WCC Management Guidelines, Policies, & Procedures (including WCC employee handbook, Food Outlets and Banquets Guidelines and Mission statement)
- Carry out all reasonable requests made by the Director of Outlets, General Manager, Director of Banquets and Executive Chef in a professional and timely fashion.
- Work schedule: Up to 60 hours per week over 5, 6 or sometimes 7 days as needed
- Available to work Weekends, Nights, Early AM shifts and Holidays.
- Available to manage Golf Outings on Mondays from April through October
- Extensive knowledge of Cocktails, Liquors and Wine service required. Sommelier Certification a plus.
- Up to date Bartending License
- Up to date Tips Certification
- Overall Food and Beverage knowledge including but not limited to production technique, wines and liquors
- Proven superior training, computer, communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Proven experience managing a departmental budget
- Service, customer and detail-oriented
- A team player with excellent communication skills
- Goal-driven leader with good relationship/delegation skills
- Ability to maintain and improve overall quality standards
- Able to work weekends and/or nights, as needed or required
Education and Experience:
- 5-10 years of management experience in bars, hotels and or clubs required.
- Progressive Industry accomplishments preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college degree or university – Hospitality Management preferred
Language and Communication Skills:
- Must be able to communicate & interact professionally with members & employees in English language.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish – a plus
Physical, sensory and motor demands:
- Able to move fast and multi-task in a fast paced, high stress / pressure environment (Heat and Action)
- On feet frequently – up to 10-12 hours a day.
- Frequent Walking to collect or deliver goods in various kitchens and or reception areas (service bar set ups).
- Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and / or up to 20 pounds of Force frequently, and / or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Excellent physical fitness, visual acuity and sense of smell to work safely.
- Working outdoors on Golf grounds during the Golf Outing Season