All camp counselors will supervise a group of 10-15 campers, ages 3-9 (all groups being comprised of children of the same age). Counselors have at least 1 partner with whom they share their responsibilities, and camper safety is the most important of these. No camper is ever left unattended by camp staff.
DEPARTMENT: Beach Club Summer Camp
REPORTS TO: Camp Director
COMPENSATION: Hourly Compensation, non exempt
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Daily attendance and dismissal records for all campers
- Supervision and facilitation of lunchtime activities
- Assisting Camp Activity Directors with daily activities (including Arts & Crafts, Tennis, Swimming, Science, Cooking, Story Time, Boating, and Sports) planned for their campers, and participation in them, as needed.
- Accompanying campers to all areas of the camp property, including First Aid, bathrooms, and activity areas.
- Attendance at daily staff meetings, mandatory orientation sessions, and pre-season meetings
- Daily interaction and communication with campers, co-workers, and parents
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Strong communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to positively motivate and manage children
- Comfortable with taking direction, as well as communicating with co-workers
- Highly responsible and well-organized in tending to campers’ daily needs
- Presents professional appearance and attitude at all times
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Prior Counselor experience preferred.
- Minimum age requirement is 16 to meet NYS Minor Law Guidelines.
- Unexpired First Aid Certification and CPR Certifications – a plus
- Highly active, multitasking type of environment (group of children to direct and monitor)
- Frequent Standing and Walking for extended periods of time.
- Work is performed both indoors and outdoors throughout the summer