Groundsperson - Season 2020
Westchester Country Club is an exclusive family oriented Club located in Rye. The Club is internationally recognized for the quality of its services, particularly those in Golf and Food operations. Rye Train Station is located two miles away from our Main Club and Beach Club Locations.
The Groundsperson is responsible for operating various mechanical and manual tools and equipment in a safe, efficient and effective manner to improve aesthetics, maintain course conditions and playability of Westchester Country Club Grounds, for the membership’s enjoyment, while reducing the effects of extensive play. This position will also aid in the completion of various construction projects.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to execute each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and/or satisfy the productivity, performance or qualification standards for the position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
· Assembly of required tools or equipment
· Operation of motorized equipment
· Preparation of equipment
· Location of specific areas of the Golf Course or Grounds
· Fill divots
· Mechanical raking of sand traps
· Manual raking of sand traps
· Rotary mowing
· Operating a string trimmer
· Assist in light construction
· Participate in continuous on the job training
The above list of essential job functions describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, and indeed additional responsibilities may be assigned, as required, by management.
- Efficient and accurate preparation for assigned jobs
- Safe and efficient operation of maintenance equipment at all times, including following safe operating procedures and using appropriate action
- Knowledge and observation of maintenance standards at all times
- Proficiency in distinguishing the courses, various hole numbers and other areas of the grounds
- Being attentive to details
- Avoiding unnecessary equipment breakdown and informing the mechanic of any suspected problems
- Develop a basic knowledge of the various aspects of Golf and Grounds maintenance, including a good working knowledge of various pieces of equipment
- Ability to work long hours, flexible shifts, under various outdoors conditions
JOB QUALIFICATION STANDARDS
The following describes the general qualifications and physical, sensory and mental abilities normally associated with performing the essential functions of this position.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent through a vocational school
- Previous experience operating mechanical tools preferred
- Previous experience working outdoors under various weather conditions
- A Valid Driver’s License
Knowledge, Skill, abilities Requirements/Specialized Courses and/or Training:
- Basic mechanical understanding of Grounds equipment, including knowledge of how to fuel equipment, check proper fluid levels and tire pressure
- Must possess a good sense of direction, i.e. ability to plot and remember landmarks and follow and understand maps
- Skilled in manual labor: must be able to operate a truckster, use a shovel and a mechanized sand rake
Language and Communication Skills:
- The ability to read and understand instructions in English
- Must be able to communicate & interact professionally with members & employees in Basic English language.
Physical, sensory and motor demands:
- Ability to lift and move a 50 lb bag
- Physical dexterity with a rake, shovel, edging tools, etc…
- Physical strength and endurance to work long hours outdoors in various weather conditions